25 Random Things About Susan Jensen
Do you remember back in the early days of Facebook when people posted all kinds of lists in their “Notes” section? Our all-time favorites were the amazing “25 Random Things About Me” lists — they were so real, so personal and so fascinating that we actually based the eSSSence box at the bottom of all our interviews and guest posts on them. We hear from many of you about how these resonate with you and how much you enjoy reading them, too.
So we thought it would be fun to post our own lists so you can get to know us better — and we may find out a few secrets about each other along the way. We’ve already posted Lois’ list and Amy’s list. Now it’s Susan’s turn:
1. I grew up on a farm and loved every minute of it. I was allowed to roam free, something my daughter did not get to do.
2. Dogs are an important part of my life and I have had over 10 in my lifetime. My current love is Buster.
3. Catherine and I have an annual mother/daughter ornament exchange and brunch that started when Catherine was in the 8th grade. She is now a junior in college.
4. I hate lima beans and liver regardless of what is on top of them or what they are cooked in.
5. I dropped out of college and that is my biggest regret in life.
6. I love the feeling of renewal that spring brings. Flowers popping up, trees in bloom, longer days, warmer weather. I am definitely a summer kinda gal.
7. I make a mean batch of English toffee and I give it away at Christmas time to friends, family, and neighbors.
8. If I could have been anything in life I would have been a singer. I loved Barbra Streisand and would pretend to be her when I was younger, singing at the top of my lungs throughout the house when no one was home. I also would pretend the doors in my house were boyfriends and I would slow dance with them.
9. I love Motown music, the Stones, Beatles and, yes, even rap music.
10. I spent many a weekend in my 20’s in gay discos in San Francisco dancing up a storm, having a ton of fun and seeing lots of very interesting things!
11. I love everything about being a mother. Having a child at 40 made me a wiser, calmer, more enlightened mom and I believe a better parent than if I had been in my 20′s.
12. Elephants are my favorite animal. They are smart and filled with soul, compassion, and loyalty.
13. I love to travel and high on my wish list is an African safari, visiting distant relatives in the Basque region of France, the Galapagos, taking the Rocky Mountaineer train from Vancouver to Banff, rafting through the Grand Canyon, visiting an elephant preserve in Africa and/or Thailand, taking a Mediterranean cruise and, thanks to Lois, Iceland.
14. I love eating the pizza Larry makes and I love how much he enjoys making it.
15. I love red wine and vodka martinis. Martinis must be served up, dry with two olives and must be made with a name brand vodka.
16. A motto Larry and I both live by is treating others the way we want to be treated.
17. I am a very logical, practical person. I love to laugh and I’m seldom depressed.
18. I love having dinner parties and trying out new recipes on my friends. Some are successful and, well, some are not!
19. On my first sorta date with Larry, I took him to a Dim Sum restaurant in San Francisco, ordered tons of food, then found out he was allergic to all types of shellfish. Needless to say, I had lots of “to go” boxes.
20. I love my Zumba classes at the gym. I try and go four times a week if I can. I also love working out with weights.
21. My day isn’t complete if I don’t have my two mugs of home brewed coffee in the morning with frothed milk, no sugar.
22. As I have gotten older I have trouble sleeping and I would give almost anything for a good night’s sleep where I awake feeling rested and refreshed.
23. I love See’s Candy because it reminds me of my mom, my grandma and my sister. Our motto was the sooner we ate the pound box of candy the sooner we’d be rid of the calories.
24. I had two of the best Grandmothers that ever lived. I learned unconditional love from both of them and it was truly life altering.
25. I elect not to take things personally because most of the time they aren’t. It saves me so much grief, heartache and anger.