How do you take care of a Cymbidium orchid?
- Cymbidiums are a terrestrial plant with a rapid growth rate, so water them frequently.
- Water heavily during the growth months, from spring through late summer.
- Keep the potting medium moist.
- Reduce watering in late summer.
- Keep barely moist during the winter.
How do I get my Cymbidium orchid to bloom?
Moderate and regular watering and using the right amount of fertilizer is essential in triggering your cymbidium orchids to bloom. In summer, you must water your orchids two to three times a week, but during winter once a week is enough. If you are overwatering, the plants may shed their buds.
How much sun do Cymbidium orchids need?
During the growing season, cymbidium orchids appreciate dappled sunlight. If your orchids are outdoors, make sure they are not in direct sunlight, as this can cause burning on the plant. A few hours of morning sunlight paired with shady afternoons should be perfect.
Where do you put cymbidium orchids?
Dappled light under a tree or shade house is ideal. In cooler months, move into full sun to encourage flowers. Cymbidiums can be brought inside when in flower, but are not suitable as permanent indoor plants.
Are cymbidium orchids easy to grow?
Cymbidium orchid plants are among the easiest to grow indoors. Don’t treat them like Phalaenopsis orchids — Cymbidiums need more sunlight and cooler temps. Cymbidiums grow clumps of fat, stem-like pseudobulbs that emerge from rhizomes.
What do you feed cymbidium orchids?
During the growth season (spring through late summer), highnitrogen fertilizer (such as 30-10-10) is used. In late summer, use a high-phosphorus, blossom-booster fertilizer (such as 10- 30-20), to help form bloom spikes. Fertilize at full strength every week to two weeks. In winter, fertilize once a month.
When should cymbidium orchids be repotted?
every 3-4 years
Cymbidiums needs to be re-potted or divided every 3-4 years. The best time to do it is after they finish flowering. Before splitting, Millie removes any dead or damaged growth, and any opportunistic weeds.
How to trim and maintain cymbidium orchids?
Follow the advice in this section while the flower stem is present.
How to save Cymbidium orchid with root rot?
– Spray with Hydrogen peroxide 3%. – Let air-dry for a moment and repot in fresh media. – Water the orchid and put aside.
How do you care for an indoor orchid plant?
– Get a slotted pot that is not too big or too small for your orchid. – Put a layer of a fresh medium into the bottom of the pot and position your orchid in the center. – Keep the crown of your orchid just a little below the top portion of the pot.
How to get your cymbidium orchids to rebloom?
Generally,a drop of about 10° F (5.6° C) to 20° F (11.2° C) during the night will be sufficient to trigger your orchid to rebloom.