What is the rod in the bottom of a filing cabinet?
The usual retaining rod is positioned along the bottom of the drawer, passing through a hole in the front panel and extending into a hole in the rear panel. A release knob is secured to the front end of the rod but is normally recessed in a hole in the front panel to prevent the withdrawal of the rod.
Can you make a copy of a file cabinet key?
Having an extra key or two for your file cabinet can take a large interruption to the workday and turn it into a small inconvenience. Instead of having to call a locksmith the next time, you’ll just need to retrieve the extra key. Then, you can call the locksmith to have another copy made at your convenience.
How do I make my drawers lockable?
- Step 1: Empty the drawer and remove the drawer from the dresser or cabinet, if possible.
- Step 2: Locate the center point of the drawer.
- Step 3: Drill a hole that will fit the lock shaft.
- Step 4: Remove the lock bolt and the O-ring then install the lock in the drawer.
Do filing cabinets have bottoms?
Filing outside the US Many European companies engineer filing systems that accommodate hanging folders only; there are no drawer bottoms. In the US, most file drawers still have bottoms in the drawers so materials of any sort can be stored.
What is a card catalog Rod?
Card catalog rods are a convenience as well as a safety feature. Without them, an entire drawer of cards could be dumped by accident (inconvenient) causing the person who has to refile them to have a heart attack (dangerous). Rods also serve a quality-control function, as described at the end of the post.
How to add a lock to a file cabinet?
Install the Locking Lever in the Bar. Hold up the bar so the three holes show through the center opening where the handle gets installed.
How do you lock a filing cabinet?
– Open the top HON file cabinet drawer and pull out the contents. Once the drawer is empty, fully extend the drawer. – Find the c-clip securing the current lock to the cabinet. – Pull the existing lock from the front of the cabinet while dislodging it from the linkage for the lower drawers.
How to unlock a filing cabinet?
How to unlock a broken file cabinet lock?
How to Unlock a Broken File Cabinet Lock. Place a 1/8-inch drill bit into your hand drill and place the tip of the drill bit on the center of the keyhole on the lock. Drill a hole straight through the lock. Place the blade of a screwdriver into the hole and attempt to turn the lock counterclockwise.