What are wordy words?
What are wordy words?
wordy, verbose, prolix, diffuse mean using more words than necessary to express thought. wordy may also imply loquaciousness or garrulity. a wordy speech verbose suggests a resulting dullness, obscurity, or lack of incisiveness or precision.
How can I reduce the number of words in an essay online?
10 Tricks to Reduce Your Word Count in Academic Writing
- Delete “The” You can often omit the word “the” from your text without losing any meaning.
- Erase “That” Similarly, the word “that” is often overused in writing and can be deleted with ease.
- Remove Adverbs and Adjectives. Adverbs modify verbs, and adjectives modify nouns.
- Use Shorter Words.
What is reducing text?
The Text Reduction Strategy is a means of reducing a text, usually in order to reveal themes or important details. Put more specifically, students remove punctuation, words, sentences, subheadings, and other text features until only what’s desired remains.
Is wordy a real word?
Wordy, prolix, redundant, pleonastic all mean using more words than necessary to convey a desired meaning. Wordy, the broadest and least specific of these terms, may, in addition to indicating an excess of words, suggest a garrulousness or loquaciousness: a wordy, gossipy account of a simple incident.
Is Grammarly overpriced?
The basic function offered by Grammarly — identifying most spelling and grammar errors — is no charge. But if you want the more robust version you need to pay $29.95/month. That cost sounds small, but like cell phone and cable bills, it adds up quickly.
How do I stop being wordy?
How to Avoid Wordiness
- Cut Adjectives and Adverbs. This is something Ernest Hemingway became famous for.
- Eliminate Redundant Words and Phrases.
- Don’t Use Unnecessary Prepositions.
- Avoid Passive Voice.
- Use Simple Past/Present Instead of Present/Past Perfect and Present/Past Continuous.
What is an example of a concise sentence?
Example sentence #1: When I started my own business, it has given me a whole new perspective to see the bigger picture when it comes to finding a work / life balance. Clear and concise version: Starting my own business has given me a new perspective on work / life balance.
How can I check my grammar for free online?
- A POWERFUL, FREE ENGLISH GRAMMAR CHECKER. Scribens corrects over 250 types of common grammar and spelling mistakes, including verbs, nouns, pronouns, prepositions, homonyms, punctuation, typography, and more.
- CORRECTS 10X MORE MISTAKES THAN MICROSOFT WORD.
- USEFUL WRITING AND STYLE TOOLS.
Is wordy a formal word?
If you describe a person’s speech or something that they write as wordy, you disapprove of the fact that they use too many words, especially words which are very long, formal, or literary. The chapter is mostly wordy rhetoric. Collins!
How do you shorten a sentence?
If your average is more than 20, here’s how to make those sentences shorter:
- Split super-long sentences in two.
- Cut redundant words.
- Avoid adverbs.
- Use the active voice.
- Avoid words ending in –tion.
- Strive to add a few super-short sentences.
What are wordy sentences?
Wordy sentences use too many useless words that clutter writing. Good writing is simple and direct; it uses the simplest word possible that conveys the same meaning. If you can remove a word while keeping the sentence’s meaning, the sentence is wordy.
How do I make my essay shorter?
Here are five simple tips for trimming your stories without destroying content.
- Circle or highlight all adverbs. Take them out.
- Look for a single word or short phrase followed by a comma.
- Delete helping verbs.
- Delete to be verbs.
- Turn some nouns into verbs: “I concluded” is better than “I came to the conclusion.”