Why do we need to cite sources?
Citing or documenting the sources used in your research serves three purposes: It gives proper credit to the authors of the words or ideas that you incorporated into your paper. It allows those who are reading your work to locate your sources, in order to learn more about the ideas that you include in your paper.
What do you need to cite?
ALWAYS CITE, in the following cases:
- When you quote two or more words verbatim, or even one word if it is used in a way that is unique to the source.
- When you introduce facts that you have found in a source.
- When you paraphrase or summarize ideas, interpretations, or conclusions that you find in a source.
How do you in-text cite a commercial?
In-Text Citation Company (Year, Month). Title of advertisement [Advertisement]. Title of Magazine/Newspaper, volume(issue), page number.
Where do you put page numbers in MLA works cited?
Arrange entries in alphabetical order by the first term in each entry (the first author’s last name or the title of the work when there is no author). Continue with the numbering convention used throughout the paper by including your last name and the page number in the upper right-hand corner of the Works Cited page.
How do you in-text cite an in-text citation?
Using In-text Citation APA in-text citation style uses the author’s last name and the year of publication, for example: (Field, 2005). For direct quotations, include the page number as well, for example: (Field, 2005, p. 14).
How do you put page numbers in MLA format in Word?
This process is just as simple as the Word steps.
- Click Insert.
- Scroll down to Header & page number.
- Click the little arrow and touch Header.
- In the toolbar, click right align.
- Click Insert, then Page numbers and right-aligned.
- Click on the page number and type your last name.
What are three ways to cite a source in your work?
There are four common methods of referring to a source document in the text of an essay, thesis or assignment. These methods are direct quotation from another source, paraphasing or summarising material, and citing the whole of a source document.
How do I cite an online article in MLA?
Cite web postings as you would a standard web entry. Provide the author of the work, the title of the posting in quotation marks, the web site name in italics, the publisher, and the posting date. Follow with the date of access. Include screen names as author names when author name is not known.
How do I manually number pages in Word?
Select Insert > Page Number, and then choose the location and style you want. If you don’t want a page number to appear on the first page, select Different First Page. If you want numbering to start with 1 on the second page, go to Page Number > Format Page Numbers, and set Start at to 0.
How do you set up MLA format on word?
How to Set Up a MLA Format in Microsoft Word
- Set the page margins. From the main menu, select “File,” then click “Page Setup” from the drop-down menu.
- Set the font. The MLA requires that all manuscripts be written in the Times New Roman font at a 12-point pitch.
- Set double spacing.
- Set your header.
How do you do page numbers in MLA format?
Include your last name and page numbers in the upper right-hand corner of every page. The page numbers will be one-half inch from the top and flush with the right margin. If your instructor prefers no page number on the first page, begin numbering from 2 on the second page.
How do you cite sources in a paper?
You must cite all information used in your paper, whenever and wherever you use it. When citing sources in the body of your paper, list the author’s last name only (no initials) and the year the information was published. If you use a direct quote, add the page number to your citation, like this: (Dodge, 2008, p.
How do you format a works cited page?
Format of the Works Cited page
- Title the page Works Cited, centred and in plain text (no italics, bold or underline).
- Alphabetize the entries by the author’s last name.
- Use left alignment and double line spacing (no extra space between entries).
- Use a hanging indent on entries that run over one line.
What is MLA format for an essay on Google Docs?
While your instructor may have specific requirements, the general guidelines for MLA format are as follows:
- Size 12 Times New Roman font.
- Double-spaced text with no extra spaces between paragraphs.
- One-inch page margins on all sides.
- A header with your last name and a page number in the top-right of every page.
How do you in-text cite an advertisement in MLA?
Provide the title of the advertisement or a description in place of a title. Then provide the name of the magazine in the “Title of container” slot, followed by the date of the issue and the page number on which the advertisement appears: Advertisement for Head and Shoulders.
How do you cite online sources?
Include information in the following order:
- author (the person or organisation responsible for the site)
- year (date created or last updated)
- page title (in italics)
- name of sponsor of site (if available)
- accessed day month year (the day you viewed the site)
- URL or Internet address (pointed brackets).
How do I cite an article in APA?
Basic format to reference journal articles
- Author or authors.
- Year of publication of the article (in round brackets).
- Article title.
- Journal title (in italics).
- Volume of journal (in italics).
- Issue number of journal in round brackets (no italics).
- Page range of article.
- DOI or URL.
How do you reference an organization?
Web Page (organisation as author)
- Year that the site was published/last updated (in round brackets).
- Title of web page (in italics).
- Available at: URL.
- (Accessed: date).
How do you reference a PDF?
Always cite the PDF based on what the source in the file actually is.
- In MLA formatting, you can change the medium description to “PDF file.”
- In an APA citation, cite a PDF the same way you would cite a webpage, and include the PDF link as the URL.
How do you cite a scholarly article?
Citations for scholarly articles should include the following:
- Name of Author(s)
- Year of Publication.
- Full Title of Article.
- Title of Journal (italicized)
- Volume Number of Journal.
- Page Numbers of Article.
How do you cite sources in APA?
When using APA format, follow the author-date method of in-text citation. This means that the author’s last name and the year of publication for the source should appear in the text, like, for example, (Jones, 1998). One complete reference for each source should appear in the reference list at the end of the paper.
How do you give credit to a website source?
Author’s Last name, First name. “Title of the Article or Individual Page.” Title of the Website, Name of the Publisher, Date of Publication in Day Month Year format, URL.
How do you cite three authors?
Citing Works With Three or More Authors Include only the last name of the first author, followed by “et al.” and the year published in all narrative and parenthetical citations APA. Note: The reference entry should list the names of up to 20 authors.